Friday, May 10, 2013

Easy, Healthy Banana Oatmeal Cookies

I'm so excited this morning! I just launched the new Positive Motion page on my website! It's designed to help you get up off the couch, get moving, and keep moving. We all need a little extra motivation sometimes, and I'm here to be your very own Personal Motivator. Come check out Positive Motion! We're going to have a lot of fun!

Now, to get you going on a new healthy habit right this minute, here's a terrific little recipe for super healthy cookies that will satisfy your sweet tooth without sabotaging your fitness goals. It's adapted from one I saw on Facebook, but can't seem to locate now that I want to give credit for it. I will gladly post a link if somebody knows where it is. 

These cookies are vegan (of course!), sugar free, oil free, wheat free, and can be gluten free if you use certified GF oats. Miraculously, they're still really good! And because they're mostly made of bananas and oats, they're super healthy. I think they bake up more like little flat cakes or muffins. I would classify them more as a "real food treat" than a "real cookie." If you're not expecting a Mrs. Fields sort of experience, you'll love them! In our house, big man Rick and little man Jacob both gobble them up. As for me, I'm just a few short weeks away from the See Jane Run 1/2 Marathon in California, and these make a great pre-run snack!

I changed a few things to make these work better at high altitude, so if you're in the lowlands, you might need to make adjustments the other way. These are so simple though, I think they'll work pretty much anywhere. Try them at sea level and let us know how it goes!


Banana Oatmeal Cookies
makes about 1 dozen cookies

3 very ripe bananas
2 cups quick oats
1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup apple sauce
1/4 cup almond milk

1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped nuts
1/2 cup toasted, slated sunflower seeds - optional


Preheat the oven to 350ยบ.
Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment, silicone liners, or a light coating of oil.
Mash the bananas, and stir in all the other ingredients.
Place large tablespoon sized cookies on the prepared cookie sheets, and flatten them slightly. They will not spread or rise as they bake.
Press about a teaspoon of sunflower seeds into the top of each cookie before baking (optional).
Bake 30-35 minutes, until lightly browned.