Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Pizza Bruschetta

I'm all about simple edible delights these days. A kitchen as small as mine can feel limiting, and I'll admit to wistfully reminiscing about my big, funky Taos kitchen from time to time. But I would't go back, and I'm excited about my new "project," which is to show you what wonders can come from a tiny kitchen and a few simple tools.

I make a lot of pizza, right? There are so many ways to do it. I hope I never run out of inspirations for this most marvelous of foods. I've already shared two of my favorite with you - the Tortizza, and the Cauliflower Crust Pizza. Now I'll add a new favorite, the Pizza Bruschetta. It's ridiculously easy to make, and only requires one skillet on the stovetop.



Pizza Bruschetta
crusty whole grain bread
fresh mushrooms, sliced
fresh garlic, chopped
pizza (or pasta) sauce
Daiya mozzarella
fresh baby spinach
fresh basil, chopped
olive oil

Cut the bread into nice thick slices - about 3/4 inch or so.
Lightly oil both sides of the bread slices with olive oil. (I use a Misto)
Heat a skillet to medium-high, and quickly cook the mushrooms until they lose some water and start to brown a little bit. Throw in some chopped garlic and let it cook for about a minute.
Place the mushrooms in a bowl, wipe out the skillet if needed, reduce the heat to medium-low.
Let the pan cool down for a few minutes, then gently warm the bread slices in the skillet.
Flip the bread over, and spoon on some sauce, followed by the Daiya, spinach, basil, and mushrooms.
Top with another little sprinkle of Daiya.
Cover the pan and let them cook for a few minutes, until the bottom of the bread is golden brown.
Serve with a dusting of Magic Sprinkles.