Wednesday, November 30, 2011

the Feast - Part III

After a fabulous feast, you have to wait a while for dessert (sometimes I wait until the next day), but now it's time for something sweet! As I've said before, I'm not really much of a baker, and I find pies especially intimidating. Cobbler makes way more sense to me, so that's what I made for our Thanksgiving dessert. This is a combination of several recipes, including a favorite my Mom used to make.


Apple-Cherry Cobbler

6-8 apples, cored, peeled, and sliced, the amount depending on the size of your pan. Use a mix of different kinds of apples, such as Pink Lady, Fuji, and Granny Smith. 
1 cup dried cherries

Arrange apples and cherries in a baking dish. 
Stir together the following, and pour over fruit:

1/2 cup organic sugar
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup apple juice
1/2 tsp each nutmeg and cloves
2 tsp cinnamon
1 T arrowroot powder

Topping

1 cup quinoa flour (or any flour you prefer)
1 cup oats
1 cup organic sugar
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (or nut pulp from nut milk)
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla

Mix the above together in a bowl. Place 1/3 to 1/2 half of the topping in a food processor, and buzz in 3 T vegan butter and 2 T coconut oil. Stir back in with the rest of the topping in the bowl, and sprinkle over the fruit. This is enough topping for a large 9x13 baking dish.

Bake at 375ยบ for 45 minutes to an hour, until hot all the way through and apples are cooked to your liking. We prefer them a little bit crisp. Cover with foil if topping begins to brown too much. This is a very sweet dessert, so feel free to cut back on the sugar if you want to. I served it with vanilla Rice Dream Ice Cream, which was the only thing not made from scratch in the entire meal.

I hope you'll enjoy playing with these recipes, and including them in some of your own Holiday Feasts.

Cheers, and Happy Holidays!!!


the Feast - Part I
the Feast - Part II
the Feast Part III

22 comments:

Jeanniejeanniejeannie said...

Hey there.....It looks like a tasty and very beautifufl meal! Plus, now that you've worked out the kinks for a vegan Thanksgiving I'll replicate for a Vegan Christmas!!

I'll have to modify some of the dishes to adjust for my diabetic 2 hubby....but it doesn't seem as if it'll be that drastic!

I've been a forever vegan, sorta..cause every now and then I'll fall off the wagon for something ridiculous reason and regret it later. It's hasn't been an issue per se but it could be...it's just smarter, tastier, healthier way to eat!

We're moving into a new house this month (pray for no-snow) and I'll have a nice large space for THE GARDEN ....can hardly wait!

Cheers Kim!!

Jean said...

This vegan dessert would have gone over big at our house! Ian would have adored it!!! It is as mouthwatering in looks as your beads and I bet it is just as lovely to experience--except in a different way!

xoxox jean!

Sara said...

I'd 'beads'remiss if I didn't tell you that we've loved every one of your recipes

Betsy Lewis said...

Thanks for the introduction to your vegan blog. It is inspiring - as well as your blog featuring your BEADS! I will have to sibscribe! Take care and Happy Holidays every one!

Karin said...

I like beads as much as I like food!

taossalukis said...

I love your BEADS,Kim!

lov2bead said...

I was with you on the cobbler until you mentioned cherries - not in my cobbler! When I was a little girl my family would visit my favorite aunt - boy could she cook for the holidays. We would visit a peach farm, pick our fruit then my aunt would make cobbler. Oh my it was incredible.

Incredible. that is a word I use to describe your beads!

Gail Bollard

Ruth said...

Kim, as much as I love veggies, I still loved the turkey on TG. You look very healthy and happy which is the finest way to live life. Lovely of you to share. I do grow some of my own veggies and fruits; but, am very limited on space. Grow lemons, oranges, figs, tomatoes, green onions and herbs. My friend has more space and shares her crops of string beans, peas, kale, carrots, radishes and avocados.

Suselew said...

My mother was a vegetarian because of animal rights issues. Beads me why I didn't follow suit, but I know I lack the will power to change. I admire anyone who can!

PA said...

I'm not vegan but that doesn't mean I can't love some of these recipes. Also, I have 2 daughters who are gluten-free and often vegan recipes are good ones for them too. Polly Anna

Texan Zombie Goddess said...

I am so going to do this recipe! I'll even wear my flower and heart cz beads necklace while doing it!!

\IiiI

LP said...

Great recipes and very cool BEADS you are doing Kim.looks like you are going to be very busy in the new year. Happy holidays

Anonymous said...

I admire the discipline and resourcefulness it takes to be a vegan. Afraid it doesn't work for me. ...unless beads are vegan. Are they?

Rainey Smith, lAutreRainey@yahoo.com

CreekHiker / HollysFolly said...

I'm dying to try those biscuits! I love chipotle in cranberries!!

This is my BEADS entry!

Mindy Eltz said...

Are BEADS Vegan? Kim, you look amazing, as good as your beads for sure! I'm coming back, missed you and your beads, hope you will have me! Mindy

Karen said...

This cobbler looks yummy. Much better than making pies. And almost as much fun as beads.

Anonymous said...

Please send me some of this YUMMY dessert!!!I will sit in my favorite chair,and look at all my GORGEOUS beads as I eat this WONDERFUL Cobler!!!
Jaime H

Anonymous said...

You Rock Vegan BEADS :-)

Suzie

Anonymous said...

Kim, that spread looks absolutely delicious! Reading your blog has helped me try and move towards being vegetarian - and I'm so happy your BEADS are totally vegan and animal free ;)
Barb Christman

Katherine said...

So I thought, wow! People are flocking to Positively Vegan! Awesome!! So the beads did have a teeny bit to do with it, but still, awesome!! Those folks are here now, maybe your fabulous recipes will coax them over to the other side...the healthier side!

Some of the comments are saying that they don't have the will power to eat vegan. It's really not that hard, which I'm learning very well, thanks to you. You just have to make the decision to stop eating unhealthy processed food, and care about how animals are treated on their way to the dinner table. It's as simple as that. Vegetarian for six years, and now well on my way to becoming vegan, and I have to say this has been one of the best changes in my life ever.

Not trying to start a war on your blog, Kim, I'm just sayin'...

Carolien said...

Wow Kim, you have lovely recipes on here. I have a vegan friend and I will send here this link! It's great how you have 2 separate blogs about your recipes and your beads... Keep up the good work!

Hugs, Carolien

Samantha Alspaugh said...

The Cobbler sounds awesome! Does it go well with Beads? LOL!