Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Date Balls

This is a recipe my mom got from Aunt Camy back in the 50's, and made every year at Christmas. It's still a family favorite, and if I don't make these in December, I'm in big trouble. It was easy to veganize this recipe, and honestly, nobody can tell the difference.

Here's the original recipe. I love this tattered, sticky card, which still resides in the ancient, banged up metal recipe box I got as a stocking stuffer a long time ago.


Here's the vegan, lower fat version...

Vegan Date Balls

2 cups chopped dates
1 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup silken tofu
2 T tapioca flour (this isn't all that necessary, so just leave it out if you don't have it)
1/2 cup organic sugar
1/2 cup organic brown sugar
1/2 stick Earth Balance "butter," melted

Bake in an oiled square baking pan at 325º for 25-30 minutes, or until it's nicely browned. The toothpick test doesn't work with this. (I usually double the recipe and bake it for a little over an hour.) Pull the molten goo away from the edges of the pan with a spatula or knife, and let it cool off for a while so you can handle it. Roll into small balls, and roll those in organic powdered sugar.