Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Our First Vegan Potluck

We had our first Positively Vegan Potluck here on Saturday night. For a first time thing, I think it went pretty well, but there are a few things I'll change if I do it again. All things considered, it was a good learning experience, and fun too. And the food everyone brought was beautiful and delicious.




I also made mashed pesto cauli-tatoes and mushroom gravy, and we had a wonderful feast.



I offered a free, short Spring Roll class an hour before the party started. Only one friend showed up for this part, and Rick joined in too. They were both star students, and soon we had a nice big plate of spring rolls, which were really good with the Buddha Belly Sauce I'd made ahead of time.





So what will I change if I do this again? Well, it was way too much work for me, which is not the purpose of a potluck. Next time, everybody will need to bring their own plates and utensils, and take everything home with them, so we're not left here with a kitchen full of dirty dishes, plus a bunch of serving dishes that get left to behind. It has to be a communal event, or it's just not going to happen. I also want to branch out beyond our own circle of friends. We'll include them too, of course, but I realize it's hard for some of them to embrace the idea of an all-vegan meal. One friend was so baffled, she brought a bowl of fruit, with a disguised can of whipped cream... pretty funny.


Rick and I are the only vegans we know in Taos, but we can't be the only ones here. I'll consider some ways of reaching more into the community to find like-minded eaters, but meanwhile, I consider this first potluck to be a success, and who knows - maybe some of our friends were at least a little bit inspired to add more plants to their diets. We never know how we affect people. And as I say quite often, I'm just holding the door open here. They can decide to come in if they want to. It's up to them.