Monday, June 25, 2012

One Good Reason

It's Meatless Monday again, and time for another good reason to go vegan.

Visit the Happy Cow website.
Today's One Good Reason (to go vegan)...
Apps! Not as in appetizers (which is another good reason in itself), but apps for your phone. These can be a big help when you're traveling, or if you live in a city that's even a little bit veg-friendly. They can also put good recipes instantly in the palm of your hand. And because I rarely spend money on apps, all of these are free!

If you're just setting out on the plant-based path, try the 21-Day Vegan Kickstart app from PCRM. I downloaded it just to see what they were up to, and from the looks of it, there are some easy, yummy recipes there to help get you going.

I loved using the Happy Cow app when we were traveling recently. In Seattle we were surrounded by vegetarian and vegan restaurants. What a fun change from Taos, where Happy Cow just goes, Huh? Oh how I wish we had just one good veggie place here... and no, I'm not the one to open it.

Urban Spoon is similar to Happy Cow, but lists restaurants of all kinds, not only vegan. It could be useful when looking for a place for all different kinds of eaters to gather together.

Vegan Steven looks really cute, so I downloaded it the other day, but I can't really comment on how good it is. Of course it found nothing in Taos, but I'll try it next time I head out of town.

For cooking, well, I often refer to the recipes page here on my blog, which comes up in a nice, easy to read format on my phone. I also like Epicurious for when I want to make something new. Just ask it for vegan recipes, and away you go. And I just got the VeganYumYum app, which is simple and easy to navigate, with the recipes all listed alphabetically on the home page, and then you get nice pictures and recipe details from there. If I ever create an app for my own recipes, I want it to look like this one.

Have a great week, and whatever you eat, add some greens to the mix!