Monday, June 17, 2013

Almost Empty Bowls


I love that point in a meal where Rick and I are chatting and sipping wine, and without thinking about it, I sigh contentedly and set my fork down. A few minutes later I might look back at my plate, and noticing that I didn't finish my food, wonder how a card carrying member of the Clean Plate Club could be so negligent. I might go back for another bite, but most of the time, Rick graciously accepts the last bits I push his way, and helps me out with whatever is left. Everybody's happy.

I think that my vegan life has tuned me into my food in new ways. There's a satisfaction level that comes from eating healthy, delicious food that we don't get from eating fatty, salty, sugary foods, which just create cravings for more, because they aren't nourishing us properly. Over time, I think our bodies can learn to reset the "full button." I've struggled with my weight for most of my life, but I don't anymore. "Full" is so much more than the absence of empty. As Mary Poppins said, "Enough is as good as a feast." I think sometimes it's even better.