Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Big Changes in the Works

I've been sort of absent lately, haven't I? As you probably know, I was in Portland for the blogger's conference, and then went on to Seattle to visit family, and Oakland to run a 1/2 marathon. It was all great, and also totally distracting. To add to the craziness, my computer was stolen on my first night in Seattle, leaving me with only my iPhone to function with. I gave up pretty quickly on phone blogging, and decided to just relax and enjoy the down time. Usually when we're forced to take a breather it's for good reason, and I think that holds true for me this time.

It turned out to be a really good thing that I had time to step back and look at what I've been doing. Positive Motion has been growing steadily, and while I like the way it's gotten started, there's a lot more I want to do with it. I've also been working on a basic "how to go vegan" book for people who need a step by step guided tour through the kitchen. One day while I was just pondering all my options, I came up with one that hadn't occurred to me before. It suddenly seemed obvious that all of my smaller projects wanted to be combined into one big one, right here under the PV roof. I realized that the book is not a book at all. It's much better suited to becoming an online program, and that's where my energy is going now.

Positively Vegan will remain a happy place to cook and eat and find positive reasons to eat more plants. It will also expand to include health and exercise, and occasional tidbits about animal welfare and environmental issues related to our food consumption as a society. Going vegan or plant-based eventually becomes a complete lifestyle package for most of us, and I want to share all the goodness.

I have my new computer now, and I'm hard at work behind the scenes putting it all together while I also get back to posting regularly here on the blog. Watch for more tasty recipes, plus a whole lot more. And if you aren't already subscribed by email, now is a good time to do that, so you'll never miss a post.

As my daughter once said, while jumping on her bed, apparently quite beside herself with excitement over a big adventure coming up, "I'm so excited! So am I!" That's how I feel right now.

6 comments:

Jean said...

This is so wonderful! I can't wait! xox jean

Alisa said...

Sounds like it's going to be great Kim!

m.e. said...

please ,please hurry and write your book !
I want it yesterday !!!!
I've been following your blog from beads to beans.I've tried many of your yummy recipes.However,I guess I've just been too lazy to make any real lifestyle changes. In August I'll be 68 .I'm sick of feeling...well...sick. If I eat when I'm hungry shouldn't a meal make me feel good? I am officially going vegan. But,I believe just excluding meat and dairy won't be enough. Isn't it red flag that we have so many people who have issues with gluten? Is anybody wondering why the market is flooded with probiotics ? I will truly welcome sensible,practical guidance about a healthy life style. My slim budget does not allow for more expense organic choices. My busy schedule precludes time consuming "from scratch " meals. Yet I know there is a way to be free from poison and over processed foods ...HELP!!! m.e.

Cynthia said...

Obviously, I'm not trying to rush you, but when do you think you'd have the program completed? BTW, I think that's such an AWESOME idea!!!

Last week on Thursday I decided to become vegan and the road to doing that is so overwhelming. I still have meats at home that I've previously purchased and I don't want that meat to waste considering an animal died for me to buy it, so I will be consuming everything that I've previously purchased. But I have not purchased anything with meat products since then. I know it hasn't been a week, but this past Saturday I literally spent 3 hours at the grocery store just feeling overwhelmed by ingredients, etc. Anyway, I look forward to seeing your future program :)

Kim Miles said...

Hi Cynthia - Good for you for taking the next step! My advice is to go slow. Baby steps! I can understand why you wouldn't want to waste all the food you've just bought, so consider a vegan meal once or twice a day until all the animal products are gone.

The program I'm working on will be a while. I have a lot of it written, but need to format it differently, which I suspect will be a big job. I've just finished the first step, which is the just-launched Recipe Box. You might find it useful to get you started with lots of good recipes to take the place of those you'll soon be eliminating. There's a link at the top of the page.

I really wish you success in your vegan adventure, and if there's any way I can help, please ask!

Kim Miles said...

ME - I'm sorry I didn't respond sooner! Please know that it doesn't have to be expensive to be vegan. In fact most often it's a lot cheaper. Beans are soooo much cheaper than meat! Don't worry too much about making everything organic. Look up the "Dirty Dozen" foods that should always be organic, and beyond that, don't let it be a source of stress for you.

I'm also noticing a personal issue with gluten, and as a result, most of my recipes are going gluten free. A huge number of people have this problem, and I want to help!

I've just finished the Recipe Box (linked above), so now I'll get started on the new how-to-go-vegan program. It will take a while, so also take a look at the links and bibliography pages on my blog. I think you'll find some good help there.

Going vegan and getting healthy can be really easy if you just take your time and go easy on yourself. It should be fun! If it isn't, change something, but keep heading in the direction you want to be going. Forward!!!