Thursday, May 8, 2014

A.N.D. Cafe


Our search for a real breakfast, beyond the Road Trip Smoothie, took us over to the other side of the river to A.N.D. Cafe. I don't have the whole story yet, but it's pronounced "A.N.D." rather than "And." I think it's more like "A and D," as in two people who started the place, and I can't explain why things like this matter so much to me. I'll ask more questions next time, and there will be a next time. This popular little vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free restaurant is not in our neighborhood, but it's well worth the short drive.


Let's get right to the food! It was hard to choose from their wonderfully creative menu, but we both decided to go outside our usual breakfast-favorite-zones. In fact, both items we chose were brand new on the menu, and a far reach from our usual breakfast burrito and scramble faves. Rick had the Nuevos Rancheros - non-GMO corn tortillas filled with scrambled tofu and vegan cheese, and topped with a zippy but not too spicy green sauce and vegan sour cream. I stole several bites.

Nuevos Rancheros
Totally out of character for me, I went for the Mushroom Melt Waffle, which was stuffed with mushrooms and vegan cheese, topped with scrambled tofu, and drizzled with a spicy ranch sauce. The waffle itself was thick and light and fabulous. The combination of flavors was plate-scraping good. I only shared a little.

Mushroom Melt Waffle
And then, because we're on a Sacred Mission to find as much great vegan food as we can, and share it with you (even though we get to eat it all), we took a piece of house-made vegan Cashew Cheesecake home to have later. I recommend you do the same. Oh heavenly cheesecake, how I love you.

Cashew Cheesecake. Swoon.
We have a lot of places to try, but I think we'll go back for a followup at A.N.D Cafe soon. If you're in Portland and want to meet there, let me know. We can share bites.

A.N.D. Cafe is located at: 5420 E Burnside St, Portland, OR 97215. Phone: 530-233-4550.
Website: http://www.andcafepdx.com.