Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Just Keep Going

I guess it's normal to feel a bit of a let-down after a big event, especially one that's been anticipated for many months. I'll admit to a mild case of the post-race blues, but I'm not letting it get me down. I need a new goal, that's all. And while I don't know what that will be yet, I'm starting training for it now, just in case I come up with something in the more immediate future than a year from now.

I took a week off from running after the race, and went for my first run this morning. I decided to skip the interval timer today, and just see how far I could run before needing a walk break. I set out on my "easy day" route, which is 3.3 miles, along the usual slippery, dusty, hilly gravel roads I've been training on since last February. I figured it might be kind of hard compared to Disneyland, so didn't set my sights too high. But as it turned out, I was able to run an entire 3 miles without stopping or walking. Amazing. And cool. It's the first time I've ever done that, and on these tricky Taos roads, and at an elevation that makes a lot of people wish for sherpas just to help carry in the groceries, I really feel like I've made some great progress.

Certainly the world, and regular life are not as easy and happy as Disneyland. And while reaching my half marathon goal is a completion in itself, it's also a beginning. Where will I go from here? I have no idea. But I know there will be a pair of running shoes going with me. I can do a lot more than I think I can, and that feels pretty good. For now, all I have to do it just keep going. The rest will take care of itself.