Pages

Search This Blog

Loading...

Monday, February 18, 2013

Guest Chef in My Kitchen

Rick used to do all the cooking around here, back when I was a beadmaker with my nose to the torch day in and day out. He still likes to cook, but I rarely let him into "my" kitchen anymore. That's just mean, right? So when he said he wanted to make his famous Curried Black Eyed Peas last night, I untied my apron and stepped to the other side of the counter, camera and notebook in hand. I think I'll let him cook more often.


Curried Black Eyed Peas
serves 6-8
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 T garlic, grated
1 T fresh ginger, grated
1 tsp cumin
4 tsp curry powder
2 roma tomatoes, finely chopped
2 cups vegetable broth or water
4 (15 oz) cans black eyed peas, drained and rinsed
1 tsp salt, or to taste
1 tsp maple syrup
2 cans lite coconut milk
1/4 cup cilantro, minced
2 T lemon juice
tamari to taste

Saute the onion in a little water, over medium heat, for 2-3 minutes (Rick actually used about a tablespoon of oil, but I would have stopped him if I'd been in the room.)
Add the garlic, ginger, cumin, and curry powder, and cook for a minute or so.
Add roma tomatoes, and cook until they start to break down.
Add the broth, and bring to a boil.
Add the black eyed peas, salt, maple syrup, and coconut milk, and simmer for about 10 minutes.
Just before serving, stir in lemon juice and cilantro.
Serve as a soup, or over rice or quinoa.



4 comments:

Jean said...

Fabulous!!! Everything about this is delicious! Great photo of Rick, too!!! xoxoxox jean

Kim Miles said...

Thanks Jean! He's a cutie pie, isn't he?

jes said...

love black eyed peas, thanks for the inspiration!

Mary said...

It is always nice to have someone cook good food for us. Shows how much they care! Clearly, you are loved.