Monday, February 18, 2013

Guest Chef in My Kitchen

Rick used to do all the cooking around here, back when I was a beadmaker with my nose to the torch day in and day out. He still likes to cook, but I rarely let him into "my" kitchen anymore. That's just mean, right? So when he said he wanted to make his famous Curried Black Eyed Peas last night, I untied my apron and stepped to the other side of the counter, camera and notebook in hand. I think I'll let him cook more often.


Curried Black Eyed Peas
serves 6-8
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 T garlic, grated
1 T fresh ginger, grated
1 tsp cumin
4 tsp curry powder
2 roma tomatoes, finely chopped
2 cups vegetable broth or water
4 (15 oz) cans black eyed peas, drained and rinsed
1 tsp salt, or to taste
1 tsp maple syrup
2 cans lite coconut milk
1/4 cup cilantro, minced
2 T lemon juice
tamari to taste

Saute the onion in a little water, over medium heat, for 2-3 minutes (Rick actually used about a tablespoon of oil, but I would have stopped him if I'd been in the room.)
Add the garlic, ginger, cumin, and curry powder, and cook for a minute or so.
Add roma tomatoes, and cook until they start to break down.
Add the broth, and bring to a boil.
Add the black eyed peas, salt, maple syrup, and coconut milk, and simmer for about 10 minutes.
Just before serving, stir in lemon juice and cilantro.
Serve as a soup, or over rice or quinoa.