Saturday, January 21, 2012

Vegan Nutrition for Beginners

I've been doing a lot of reading on vegan nutrition lately. Maybe too much, from too many sources. My head is spinning with information overload. As with my beads, it's time to settle down and simplify. Thankfully, I've finally found someone I trust to give me good information. Of course you need to trust your own instincts and your own body, and you need to do your research to be sure you're getting everything you need in your diet.

If you're new to all this, I can recommend a great book I think every vegan should have (I have plenty, and this is by far my favorite). Vegan For Life, by Jack Norris, RD, and Virginia Messina, MPH, RD is a terrific guide to good vegan nutrition. You can also visit Ginny Messina's blog, the Vegan RD. Start with the page on recommended supplements. You'll instantly solve some of the biggest vegan nutritional mysteries so you can get on with cooking and eating some delicious vegan chow.

I had hoped to share some basic nutritional information with you here as I blog along, but I've changed my mind. My job here is simply to share the joys of being vegan. I'm not an expert on nutrition, but there are plenty of other people who are. When I find other good ones, I'll send you their way. Otherwise, count on me for food, fun, and occasional tidbits of useful information. Oh! I feel better already!