Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Banana Blueberry Muffins

Happy New Year! Let's start the year with something nice for breakfast.

I've let a bit of oil sneak into my recipes over the holidays, but a new year usually calls for some diet cleanup, so here we go. I'm not big on extreme "cleanses", but I do like to health-up favorite dishes when I can. To me, an oil free muffin carries the same virtuous health benefits as a 3-day fast, because (with certain exceptions, of course) I think our bodies are basically self-cleaning, as long as we treat them right. I'm no expert, but I know what works for me.

This recipe is adapted from one found over at FatFreeVeganKitchen, for Blueberry-Banana Bread. I changed it a bit, made it into muffins instead of a loaf, and also made it gluten-free, because I know that matters to a lot of you.

It's a brilliant blue and white morning here in Taos, and these lovely muffins, along with a second pot of tea, are the perfect start to the day... and the year!


Banana-Blueberry Muffins

2 cups brown rice flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup ground flax seeds
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cardamom
1 cup walnuts or pecans, coarsely chopped
4 medium-sized very ripe bananas
1/2 cup apple sauce
1/2 cup agave nectar (or maple syrup, or coconut nectar)
2 T apple cider vinegar (or white vinegar)
1 cup frozen blueberries

Preheat your oven to 350º.
Line 18 cups of 2 standard muffin tins with paper liners, or a light coating of oil.

Mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, flax seeds, spices, and nuts in a bowl.
In a larger bowl, mash the bananas with a fork, and then add the apple sauce, agave, and vinegar.
Mix well, then stir in the dry ingredients, just until blended.
Stir in the blueberries last, while they're still frozen.
Fill the prepared muffin tins, and bake at 350º for about 30-35 minutes, until the tops are browned and a toothpick comes out clean from the center.