Thursday, July 25, 2013

Vegan Cuts Beauty Box

I love girly stuff, like makeup, skin care, and nail polish. I also want products that are vegan, cruelty free, and free of harmful ingredients. They're out there, but not always easy to find. That's why I was thrilled to learn about the new Vegan Cuts Beauty Box. For just $19.95 a month you can subscribe to have a fun box of beauty surprises delivered to your door. The July box arrived a few days ago, and I've been having a great time trying out all the products inside. Here's what I got, and what I think!


This great collection came to me quickly in a USPS Priority box, all snuggled into a friendly nest of crinkly, recyclable paper shreds. Some of the items in the box are available on the VeganCuts site, along with lots of other great deals on vegan snacks, clothes, jewelry, and other necessities. Check there first if you decide to buy, because they often have discounted prices.

Starting from the left, we have a sample of Essence of Vali essential oil blend called "Sleep." It contains lavender, cedarwood, and other nice things to help calm the mind and ease you off to dream land. I like it a lot, and did sleep quite well the 2 nights I tried it. The recommendation is to place a drop of the oil on the corner of your pillow. That worked pretty well for me, although I found it a bit strong if I crunched my pillow up and put my nose right in it. I think I might try mixing some in a small spray bottle with water, and misting my pillow instead.

The darling little green zippered bag in the back is the Jemma Pouch from Namaste. It's soft, lovely, genuine not-leather, lined with genuine not-suede. It's really good quality, and just the right size for all sorts of little things. Now I also want the larger Devin wristlet, available on VeganCuts (in black please, if anybody wants to send me a present.) I can't help it. I'm a bag lady.

Next to the bag is a sample tube of Suntegrity tinted moisturizer with sun protection. I've been using it and like how it moisturizes nicely without being goopy, adds a hint of coverage, and keeps some of those harsh New Mexico rays off my pretty face.

The full size bottle of LVX nail polish was a real surprise, in a couple of ways. This stuff sells for $16, so it was a very generous addition to a $19.95 box of goodies. It's a non-toxic polish that goes on smoothly and wears great. The color (Deco), which didn't grab me at first, turned out to be a really fun summer color, kind of like peachy ice cream. I thought I might give it away, but no, you can't have it. It's mine, and I want more colors.


On the right is a sample bottle of NYL Skincare Rosewater Face Wash. It's supposed to act as a moisturizing cleanser and astringent in one. It smells nice, and I really wanted to like it. I have to be honest though, this was the only product in the box I wasn't taken with. It doesn't foam up much, and I didn't feel like it cleaned my skin. I used some of my regular astringent afterwards, and the cotton ball collected a lot of residual dirt and tinted moisturizer. I won't give up on the brand though. It looks like they've come up with some other really nice products, and I hope they'll send others.

Up front there's a small sample tube of GlamNatural mascara. It goes on nicely and doesn't clump, but doesn't really do a lot of lengthening or thickening. Mostly it colors the lashes in a soft, natural way that I think is really nice for casual daytime wear, when you want to look awake but not all made up.

The little pot next to the mascara is a shimmery loose powder eye shadow from Swagger Cosmetics, in Golden Rose. It's a pretty, eye-opening highlighter that goes on easily and stays in place. I like it!

And last is a sample of Argan Oil from Acure Organics. Argan oil comes from the argan tree in Morrocco, and is being used in lots of beauty products these days. It has a faintly floral, soft scent, and is reputed to repair skin imperfections and restore elasticity. It's too soon to tell, but I'll be dabbing it around my eyes at night until the sample runs out. If I had a vat of it I'd soak in it!

That's everything. I hope you found this helpful in your search for healthy, fun beauty products. It was sure fun for me, and I'm looking forward to my August Beauty Box, which of course I'll tell you all about! Shop VeganCuts or any of the contributor's websites for these products, and order your own Beauty Box for next month, because like I said, this stuff is mine!

~~~
Want almost 3 years worth of PV recipes in one handy place? Get the Recipe Box!