Pages

Search This Blog

Loading...

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

NutriBullet Review

Every vegan has a Vitamix, right? It's kind of seen as standard equipment for anyone switching to a plant based diet. But not all of us actually have them. I've had a bad case of Vitamix Envy for a long time, but so far the Kitchen Appliance Fairy hasn't delivered, and with a $500 pricetag, I haven't been able to justify springing for one myself. Recently, after rave reviews from friends, I ordered a NutriBullet from Target. It's touted to be able to do a lot of the things Vitamix does, and at a fraction of the price, I thought it was worth a shot. (FYI, the Nutribullet was about $100 online at Target, with free shipping, and it's $150 everywhere else. Go figure.)


I'll start by saying that I like it. Like, but not love. It does what it does very well, but it doesn't do everything I had hoped it would. It makes absolutely magnificent smoothies, much smoother and creamier and frothier than my regular blender does. And because the container is rather small, it forces me to control the amount of goodness I throw in there. Now I make exactly enough smoothie for Rick and me to share in the morning, but not enough for the whole neighborhood. When I can make a vat of something, I generally do, and that's not always a good thing.

It's also really great for salad dressings, small batches of Almond Creamer, or anything else that has a lot of liquid in it. One thing I noticed though is you kind of have to put all the ingredients in all at once, and then blend it up. Because the cap and blades are on the bottom of the container, opening it to add ingredients can get really messy. But as long as I'm following a recipe, rather than inventing one, and don't need to do a lot of taste-testing, it works perfectly.

Another nice thing is that it's super easy to clean up. Since the cap-blade assembly doesn't come apart, all you have to do is fill the container with hot soapy water, buzz it up for a few seconds, and rinse it out. (It's dishwasher safe too, but that really means nothing to me. I haven't had a dishwasher in so long I'd probably just use it for storage if one magically appeared, which I hope it doesn't. I like playing in the bubbles.)

There are a couple of things NutriBullet doesn't do that I really hoped it would. I wanted to make nut butters, but so far I just get a mix of almost-butter and un-chopped nuts, even when using the special blade that should be able to handle the job. Forget about blending thick things like hummus or nut cheese. It just won't work. And I had some success with grinding brown rice into flour, but it wasn't as fine as I would have liked it. It worked alright for the crust of my latest apple pie, but made the topping kind of gritty.

Two other things to be aware of: The cap and container are very wide. I have big hands for a girl, but I have a hard time getting a grip on the cap to open it. I imagine someone with small hands, or with arthritis, would have a devil of a time getting to their smoothie. Also, I was not at all happy when twice now, the cap has come partially unscrewed during blending, and the contents leaked all over and made a huge mess. Screw it on tight, and then have someone there to help you open it.

I don't mean to sound like the NutriBullet is a terrible thing. It's not. In fact I actually really like it a lot for the things it does well. If you want to make amazing smoothies, this is your gadget. But don't expect miracles. The NutriBullet is a great little blender that doesn't cost a lot, and won't take up much counter space, but it will never grow up to be a Vitamix. I'll keep wishing for one of those.

24 comments:

Teri said...

When I sold my house and moved into an RV, I gave my Vita Mix to my daughter and bought the TriBest single serving blender. It is similar to the NutriBullet, I make smoothies in it. It comes with a smaller container and a different blade, but I have not tried to make nut butters or anything with that blade yet. I bought it on Amazon.

Sarah said...

I've watched the nutribullet infomercial like 3 times. I love seeing David Wolfe pimping it out and watching people drink green smoothies :D

Simon anstell said...

I have a small hand blender but have been looking for a smoothie maker type thing for a while now. I've not seen the Nuti-Bullet before so think I'll give it a go as it looks interesting :)

TinCity said...

Got my nutri bullet from Amazon with an awesome discount through one of their affiliates TopDiscountFinder.com. I'm so excited that I would like to share my discount code with anyone: Nutri Bullet Discount - you will not be disappointed.

Kim Miles said...

It's cheaper at Target.

www.writegrantproposals.com said...

I'm having the same issue. I really do enjoy the Nutribullet - but had hoped to be able to make nut butters, raw mayo and dressings, etc. Same thing: I get this nicely fluffy mayo...with shards of unground cashews. Boo.

John said...

Excellent review/writing. The only compromise I have seen is the Versamix by Oster. We are looking for a single machine that deos it all, and it's gonna cost more than a Nutribullet.

Kim Miles said...

Yes, I think the one that does it all is Vitamix. I plan to buy one soon!

David Alfred White said...

Mill the seeds first, then put them in the mix.

Yoann VN said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Yoann VN said...

I would like to share best discount for nutri bullet http://www.hotdiscountfinder.com/?s=Nutri+Bullet

Weight Room Rat said...

Love my Nutribullet since you don't end up throwing out all the good stuff that you just put in, the pulp, like you do with juicers.

Tsusaku said...

Nutribullet is a horrible company! they charged my mom an extra hundred dollars on products she didnt ask for, all they said is free stuff free stuff and take your money. 30 days later they ship out stuff that you CAN'T REFUND! everything they sent is completely sealed up and they even have a refund label! they said they'd take off one of the charge "or" do an "investigation" in order to see if you "Accepted" all this crap. called back a few days later to find out that the offer to take the charge away is gone now that the investigation is done and they wont refund anything! Super unhappy customer how can they do business like this?

Rose How said...

I TOO HAD A LESS THAN DESIRABLE
EXPERIENCE WITH THE NUTRIBULLET
COMPANY, FIRST BEING HARASSED INTO PURCHASING ITEMS I ALREADY STATED I DID NOT WANT. THEN WHEN I TRIED IT I WAS NOT HAPPY WITH THE TEXTURE AND OTHER THINGS, CONTACTED CUSTOMER SERVICE WITHIN 30 TRIAL SPOKE TO ALICIA AND WAS GIVEN A RMA NUMBER AND INSTRUCTIONS ON RETURNING THE ITEM. I PACKED EVERYTHING BACK IN ORIGINAL BOX/PACKING INCLUDED COPY OF RECEIPT/PACKING SLIP WITH RMA WRITTEN ON IT AND WROTE RMA NUMBER ON ALL SIDES OF OUTSIDE BOX AS INSTRUCTED, I EVEN RETURNED WITH SIGNATURE REQUIRED. ON 11/25/13, WHICH WAS FIVE DAYS AFTER THE RETURNED PACKAGE WAS CONFIRMED AS DELIVERED BACK TO NUTRIBULLET, MY CREDIT CARD WAS CHARGED $29.99, I CALLED CUSTOMER SERVICE, SPOKE TO IVONNE, WAS TOLD ITEM WAS RECEIVED AND REFUND BEING PROCESSED AND WILL TAKE TWO WEEKS TO COMPLETE...NO OTHER CHARGES WILL POST TO MY ACCOUNT AND THE REFUND FOR CHARGES ON 10/08/13, 11/09/13 AND 11/25/13, WILL SHOW ON BILLING STATEMENT IN 1-2 CYCLES. HOWEVER, ON 12/10/13 A FOURTH CHARGE WAS BILLED TO MY CREDIT CARD, WHEN I CALLED NUTRIBULLET CUSTOMER SERVICE, I SPOKE TO SUSAN AND WAS FIRST TOLD THAT MY ITEM WAS NEVER RETURNED, I EXPLAINED TO SUSAN THAT I HAVE MADE SEVERAL CALLS REGARDING THE RETURN OF THIS PACKAGE AND HAVE PREVIOUSLY ESTABLISHED WITH IVONNE, THE RECEIPT OF PACKAGE AND PROVIDED TRACKING INFORMATION. SUSAN THEN STATED, "OH IT WAS RECEIVED BUT THE PACKAGE WAS MISSING ITEMS". AS I AM POSITIVE ALL ITEMS WAS RETURN, I ASKED SUSAN WHAT ITEMS WERE MISSING, SUSAN FIRST SAID IT WAS MISSING THE SUPERBOOST. I EXPLAIN THAT PER ALICIA'S INSTRUCTION THE SECOND UNOPENED SUPERBOOST CANISTER WAS RETURNED IN THE ORIGINAL PACKAGE AND THE FIRST ONE USED DURING THE TRIAL WAS NOT INCLUDED. SUSAN RESPONDED BY SAYING, "OH NO, I MEANT THERE IS A BOOK MISSING." I SAID THERE WAS NO BOOK MISSING, EVERYTHING THAT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE RETURNED WAS RETURNED. I SAID, SUSAN LET ME GET THIS STRAIGHT, FIRST YOU CLAIM THE ITEM WAS NEVER RETURNED, THEN I PROVE YOU WRONG AND YOU CLAIM SUPERBOOST MISSING, NOW YOU CLAIM THERE IS A BOOK MISSING...AS YOU TOLD ME AT THE BEGINNING OF THE CONVERSATION THE CALL IS BEING RECORDED, I AM RECORDING THIS CALL RIGHT NOW. SUSAN PROMPTLY HUNG UP THE PHONE AND I DISPUTED ALL CHARGES FROM THIS COMPANY WITH MY BANK. I WAS CHARGED A TOTAL OF $105.42, WITH THREE ADDITIONAL PENDING CHARGES TOTALING $67.44. WHICH WAS WAY MORE THAN THE PRICE ORIGINALLY QUOTED. THIS WAS DEFINITELY A CASE OF BUYER BEWARE.

Clifton Jamison said...

I got mine @ Walmart for $99 with a $10 refund store gift cert. Rose I feel your pain cause my Mom went thru a similar ordeal with an exercise machine from another Co.It costed her almost twice what she paid for it. It was for similar petty bullcrap reasons.There's a lot of crooked and deceptive product promoter Co.'s on TV and in our own neighborhoods!I try to read the warranty & agreement (fine print) stuff 3 times,and still sometimes get the wool pulled over my eyes! It's almost unbelievable....Skip J. in Titusville,Fl.

Lightguided said...

Thanks! This review was really helpful. I appreciate that you mentioned your expectations of the product. It helped me to make a decision about whether or not to purchase this. For my needs this product will likely work well.

yizkor book family trip said...

My Nutribullet jammed and I called. They told me to throw it out and they will send me another one. Not so easy. 3 phone calls and now I have to call them back. It takes three days until they look up all the receipt, etc. Meanwhile I have NO NUTRIBULLET. Not a good way to do business.

Pamela Wilson-Lipscomb said...

I have been threatening to buy a Nutribullet for a year. I use my Jack LaLane Juicer, but some things don't juice as well like, kake, parsley, etc. I don't think I will buy one now. I will just eat a kale salad to get the most out of greens.

Torrusty said...

I owned a Vitamix as my first serious vegan blender that I bought about a year ago. Before that I owned a crappy Ninja blender my dad bought me from Walmart for like $40. It was night and day in comparison between these blenders.

When it came to making green smoothies, the Ninja left chunks of leafy greens in the drink and the VItamix perfectly liquified everything.

Well, fast forward about 5 months of strict raw veganism and I ended up getting burnt out on the raw lifestyle. My Vitamix went largely unused. I liked hummus and bean dips, but I hated canned beans and I lacked a pressure cooker to effectively cook dried or soaked beans. Plus, the Vitamix is annoyingly difficult to clean up after making hummus. I no longer felt like drinking giant green smoothies. Also, I am allergic to nuts. All in all, there was little reason to use that $400+ appliance.

I ended up picking up a NutriBullet 900 S during the holiday season to act as both a food processor and a small blender. I have to say, this blender handles my new needs very well. I can make small batches of smoothies whenever I feel like drinking one. Hummus can be made in small batches, but quickly and easily (I own a pressure cooker too now). Feel free to read my review of the NutriBullet 900 S at my blog, Vegan Kitchen Appliances: http://www.vegankitchenappliances.com/2014/01/nutribullet-pro-900-series-review.html .

For any vegans out there that want a relatively low cost blender that can handle small blending jobs, I really do recommend this blender. For any raw vegans out there, I know you want the giant smoothie drinks in order to load up on a meal. However, I would just say that choose something sustainable. In my experience, raw veganism is not.

Kim Miles said...

Thanks Torrusty - And what has become of your Vitamix? I still find myself wishing for one. :o)

James Hoar said...

I love the Bullet so far. As for the Hummus I made it did a great job. I have also used it on acai and flax seed and have turned them into dust.

I Hate this Company said...

I purchased a Nutribullet after watching one of their infomercials. I am in the process of getting a divorce and have trouble sleeping. I ordered one and had to put it in storage. Do not even know if it works. My complaint is with the NUTRIIBULLET COMPANY. I was on payments and automatic withdraw. About 3 weeks after I received my original package I get another big box that weighs nothing.
I called the company and advised that I had not ordered anything. SURPRISE in their little wording on something that came in the original box was the advice that I had signed up for automatic shipments of something. I advised that I did not want it and wanted a number or something to return it. I was advised I could not return it. I told them that the box was unopened..they did not care. So I called my credit card company and they said that Nutribullet is the worst about shipping something and then not letting it be returned. My credit card company stopped the payments. NOW I have their attention.. they still say I cannot return the automatic shipment ( no reason). I cannot return the Nutribullet because it is past 30 days. Their latest great customer service? They are going to turn me to a collection agency if I do not pay them. SO I DO NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THIS MACHINE, I ONLY KNOW THAT YOU CANNOT GET A HOLD OF A PERSON, THAT THEY ONLY RESPOND TO EMAILS WHEN THEY FEEL LIKE IT AND THEY ARE QUICK TO THREATEN TO TURN YOU TO COLLECTION. When I do get my machine back..I will probably throw it in the trash as why would I want a machine from such a CRAPPY Company???

YOGANESHA said...

Hi,
for the ones who were scammed it is not an option to go to?
www.ombudsman.gov.au/

or it is not working well here like in the rest of the world?

Hild said...

The NutriBullet is a great little blender that doesn't cost a lot, and won't take up much ... 2nutribulletblender.blogspot.com