Wednesday, October 31, 2012

I'm Bringing Spring Rolls to the Virtual Vegan Potluck

Welcome to the Virtual Vegan Potluck! Over 100 vegan blog posts are linked together here today in one long, delicious chain, starting with appetizers, and ending with dessert. It's my first time participating in something like this, and I think it's just a grand idea.

Today I'm going to finally show you the secret to making perfect spring rolls every time. No more blow-outs. You're going to love this. I learned the technique from Mark Reinfeld of Vegan Fusion, and I think he got  it from a woman from Thailand. I actually got his permission to share this with you here - it's that good a secret. Mark is a great guy, and now we'll all know the Super Secret Spring Roll Wrapping Trick.


Watch the video, and if you need written instructions, visit my earlier post on Those Beautiful Spring Rolls. You might also want to whip up a batch of Buddha Belly Sauce to dip your spring rolls in, or just buy a nice sauce in a bottle. Your friends will still think you're amazing. And you are.



There's so much more to eat in this Virtual Vegan Potluck!
To go to the blog post before mine, visit LemongrassAndGinger (in Australia)
To go to the blog post after mine, visit Don't Switch Off the Light (also in Australia)
To go back and start at the very beginning of the potluck, Click Here.
Enjoy every virtual bite!

21 comments:

Kristi Bowman said...

I can't watch the video, it's saying it's private. Thanks for sharing your secrets!

Kim Miles said...

Oops! Sorry! It should be working now. :o)

Annie said...

Gorgeous! Makes me want to give making them another try... I'll be back in touch to let you know who to link to going forward. Hate to break the chain!! Thanks for participating in the Potluck!

Barb@ThatWasVegan said...

We can always use a tutorial on roll wrapping... it can be tricky!

CJ - Food Stories said...

Just making my way through the VVP & wanted to say hey :-)

Kim Miles said...

Cool that the post before me was also on spring rolls, but she said she need help in the wrapping department. We're perfect together!

Annie, yes please let me know who to link to. I'll be around most of the day!

atablespoonofliz.com said...

Yum, these look so good. spring rolls are one of my favorite foods!

sophiesfoodiefiles said...

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM,..These look so tasty & superb!! Yummy Yum! A lovely video too!


It was also nice to be taking part for the very 1st time in the VVP! I loved it so much!

Cool pics too!

Kim Miles said...

I really enjoyed doing this too! It inspired me to get busy and make this video I've been promising for months. May we all gets lots of good exposure!

Liz Anderson said...

Wonderful video! Nice to hear your voice after all those years of purchasing beads and now reading your new blog, Kim. Keep up the great work -- from Seattle!

Kim Miles said...

Thanks Liz! Glad to have you here!

K-bobo said...

These look more like summer rolls than spring rolls to me. Delicious though!

Kim Miles said...

It all depends on what you put in them I guess. Technically, since i made them in October, they're Fall Rolls, but that doesn't have much of a ring to it. ;o)

thecrueltyfreereview said...

Another gorgeous spring roll recipe. I'm a visual learner, so this video was so helpful!

Tiffany said...

Looks delicious! :)

Veganosaurus said...

I'm a huge fan of rice paper rolls and was very happy to find two of them in the potluck. :)

The video was great and your kitchen looks very cheerful and colorful. I did freak out a little at the part of the video where you rinsed the rice paper under running water. Haha Do consider dipping the rice paper in a bowl of warm water instead, to save water when you make a large batch of them. :)

Veggie V! @ Veggie V's Vegan Adventure said...

Who doesn't love a good spring roll?? Love the vlog :-)

Sarah said...

Thanks for this great video! I've always thought the wrappers were a sticky pain to work with, but I'm definitely going to try it again with these tips! I love spring rolls!

Kim Miles said...

Do try them. I think you'll be surprised at how easy they are, even if you've had trouble with them before. And while I agree that using running water goes against my usual grain, I've not had the same results with dipping the rice papers in a dish of water. Since a vegan meal's water footprint is usually a tiny fraction of that of a meat-based meal, I don't beat myself up over using a bit more water to get the spring rolls just right. If somebody comes up with a dipping method that works just as well, please share it with us!

And... is this a vlog because it's vegan? i like that!

Nishu Roi said...

Hello Dear Kim Miles
really your blog is awesome
i am also read your latest posts...
you have good knowledge

Kim Miles thanks for shearing this best spring rolls recipe...

You have a way with words. Excellent work!

Kim Miles said...

Hello Nishu Roi - Thank you for your kind words, and also for your recipe. I never thought to make my own wrappers, but now i'll have to try it. I don't often fry food, but those look really delicious. I'm curious about the cheese called for in your recipe. What kind of cheese is it? I think maybe tofu would be a good vegan substitute.

Carry on!