Monday, September 30, 2013

Dragon Fruit

Until last week I had never heard of dragon fruit. Maybe I'm just a slow learner, but also maybe you've never heard of it either, so here's an intro. I couldn't resist picking one up when I saw it at our local market the other day. It's such a beautiful thing. I bought it on looks alone, without asking the price ($7.00!!!), and took it home, hoping it wouldn't be a cousin of the awful, stinky durian.


Turns out this is a cactus fruit that's very sweet and wonderful and non-stinky. There are several varieties, some white on the inside like this one, and some red, with tiny, edible black seeds. I had to do some googling to figure out what to do with it (besides admire it). It's actually really easy to just slice it in half, scoop out the fruit with a spoon, and cut it up.




Place the fruit back in the shell for an exotic serving bowl. Dragon fruit is delicious all by itself, and we also liked it with a little bit of Strawberry-Balsamic Reduction Sauce. I think a squeeze of lime would be nice too. If you see this crazy fruit in the store, buy it! It might not become a staple in your house, but it's certainly something worth experiencing at least once.