Thursday, September 5, 2013

PVTV Time - Sampling the VEGG!

I'm a day early with my Friday post this week, but I'm so excited to share this with you, I just can't wait till tomorrow. I finally got a chance to try out the new vegan egg yolk product called "the Vegg," and it looks like a winner so far! Check out my most recent video on PVTV, where I sample the recipe for Gluten Free Lemon Bars by Lindsay Ray, from the Vegg Cookbook. They're fabulous! And the Vegg is a big part of their fabulousness.


I did some more experimenting after making the video, and tried subbing flax eggs (ground flax seed and water) for the Vegg. The results were pretty good, but not quite the same. The texture is better with the Vegg, and the color is much prettier. Lemon bars should be lemony-looking, which they are with the Vegg. When I used the flax seed, they were a bit on the brown side.

I also tried making the Scrambled Tofu from the book, and I have to say I was not impressed. The Vegg did not behave like an actual egg in this case. All it did was add a lot of moisture to the tofu that had to be cooked off. It took a really long time, and wasn't any more special than my usual tofu-scram.

(Here's a tip: if you want to add that eggy-sulphury flavor to things like scrambles and mock egg salads, get some Black Salt "Kala Namak," which is actually pink in color, but has a strong sulfurous smell and flavor. It's available on Amazon: The Spice Lab's Himalayan BLACK Crystal Salt Kala Namak Salt 16 Oz (fine ground))

My take on the Vegg so far is I love it for baking, and will keep exploring the "egg" dishes. Maybe I did something wrong with the tofu. There's an omelet and a quiche in the book that really look like they're worth trying. I'll let you know if I have success with them. Meanwhile, check out my new video. I had fun with this! And while you're over at PVTV, please leave a comment and a "Like," and be sure to subscribe to my channel! Thanks!

Try the Vegg for yourself. You'll definitely want to make the Lemon Bars! Order your combo Vegg/Cookbook combo pack at Vegan Cuts. It's a great deal!


~~~

What's for dinner? Look in the Recipe Box!
Get 100+ recipes, sneak previews, exclusives, and dandy little printable recipe cards. Make something Positively Vegan tonight!