Sunday, June 1, 2014

Sunday Scramble

We've been eating out a lot. We're making up for lost meals in New Mexico, and the few extra pounds I've put on are only annoying me a little bit. I'm sure we'll get back into a more regular cooking routine eventually, after the next few weeks of continued settling into our new place, exploring Portland, visiting family in California, and my upcoming trip to Washington DC. (I'm super excited about that, but I'll tell you more later!)

Back to cooking - I'm enjoying a bit of it in our new little kitchen. The glass cooktop makes me sort of uncomfortable, but I have to get over it. Afraid to break it with my beloved cast iron pan, I bought a non-stick skillet at Ikea the other day. It's kind of a starter pan, to ease me into cooking on glass. It's  funny that I spent all those years making glass beads, but now a silly stove intimidates me. I'm told that it's perfectly fine to use cast iron on this thing, but I'm just not ready yet. I have to admit, I'm enjoying my new pan's ability to let the food slip-slide around when I want it to, and to gently brown things like tofu without losing half of it to stickage.

Most mornings we have green smoothies and toast, but on weekends we like something a little more special. We haven't found much in our neighborhood in the way of vegan breakfast (yet!), so last weekend I rummaged through our minuscule Euro-refrigerator, and came up with a pile of ingredients that may or may not have worked well together in a scramble. We had purchased some fun new products at the farmers market the day before, and I was eager to give them a try. What we ended up with was a wonderful surprise party of flavors. Restaurants should serve this! I would order it!


Sunday Scramble
serves 2

1/4 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 block (8 oz) extra firm tofu, cut in small cubes
1 small sweet potato, cut in 1/2 inch cubes
3 corn tortillas, cut into bite-sized pieces
3 T pine nuts
1-2 cups chopped mixed greens
1/4 cup salsa
1 avocado, sliced
vegan feta (buy it or make it)

Saute the onions, garlic, tofu, and sweet potato in a little oil or water until the sweet potato is soft and the tofu is lightly browned.
Add the tortillas and pine nuts, and cook for 2-3 minutes.
Add the greens and salsa, and stir to heat and wilt the greens.
Serve topped with avocado slices, vegan feta, and extra salsa.

We loved the Heidi Ho Feta Crumbles we picked up at the farmers market. you can get it at Whole Foods too! And the organic non-gmo fresh tortillas we bought from Three Sisters Nixtamal were more wonderful than any we've had in Mexico. We got the "sampler" bag, with four different colors of corn represented, and used what was left for portobello and asparagus tacos later for dinner. It was a Good Food Day, and all at home.