Friday, September 4, 2015

Pigging Out at DC Vegetarian

Picking up where Eating Vegan In Portland left off, Rick and I finally took a friend's suggestion and visited the DC Vegetarian food cart on SW 3rd Avenue in Portland, between Stark and Washington. We'd been told that their Vegan Bacon Cheeseburger was pretty incredible, so we stepped right up and ordered two. It was a good choice.


As the name implies, and the menu clearly states, DC Vegetarian does serve dairy cheese, but does not serve meat. That, of course, makes me (and piggies everywhere) very happy. Everything on the menu can be made vegan, and they give you the choice when you order. Plus, the burger patties and tempeh bacon are cart-made, which means they're distinctive and something the cart owners are proud of.

Get the full singing piggy video here.
We took our weighty bag of burgers over to Pioneer Courthouse Square for the big unwrapping, and found a little table overlooking the lunchtime crowds. I have to say, I was pretty excited to sink my teeth into this beauty.


And was it good? Well, here... what do you think?


Our lunch conversation consisted of chomping yum-yum noises, punctuated by exclamations like This is so good! and The patty is perfect! and It's just sloppy enough but still holds together! and The bacon is cooked just right! Not dried out! and This is even better than (several favorite places)! and finally... Did you get extra napkins?

Yeah, it was that good.

We'll be going back soon to try other things like the grilled cheese with all kinds of awesome additions, and the breakfast sandwiches. Yes, breakfast. Oh my my! But I have a hunch DC Vegetarian's Vegan Bacon Cheeseburger will be the thing I dream about and hike across town for whenever I need something that's just good old fashioned decadently delicious.