Thursday, September 24, 2015

the Ever-Fashionable Voodoo Doughnut


At the top of most Portland visitors' must-do list is a trip to Voodoo Doughnut. For some it's more like a pilgrimage. And I have to say, it's worth the effort to experience the place at least once. More often than not, folks develop something of a Voodoo habit, and it's common to see those big pink boxes being toted all over town, to the airport, the train station, and all parts beyond.

These crazy little blobs of sugary fried dough are famous all over the world, and for good reason. The flavors and colors are far from the usual (check the menu on their website), and the place itself is like something from a semi-creepy Disneyland. There's always a line out the door, and the people watching potential makes the wait more than tolerable.

Voodoo Doughnut is one of the sponsors of this year's Portland Fashion Week. Of course! Also of course, someone decided it would be a lot of fun to do a photo shoot with some of us involved with Fashion Week... and doughnuts. I was invited because I'm a food blogger, so I showed up last Monday, along with the adorably fashionable Sydney Jaffe, of CivilMaverick, and Alyssa Bleakley, who works with PFW and masterminded the whole idea of the doughnut shoot.

We all decked out in little black dresses and heels, and sugar-frosting shades of lipstick. Two huge boxes of doughnuts were delivered, while professional lights, backdrop, and camera were expertly managed by Nina Sage, of Studio 20.

While Voodoo is not an all-vegan doughnuttery, they do make some especially fine vegan doughnuts, which I've sampled more (much more) than once. This made it totally in my area of interest to have my picture taken with them. Alas, there were no actual vegan doughnuts in our pink boxes the day of the shoot, so I borrowed the other girls' "used" doughnuts and pretended I was eating them. Pretty funny! It's how the magic happens in front of the camera!

Which one shall I choose?
Some silly Charlie's Angels fun.


We learned mid-shoot that Nina specializes in boudoir photography. Teehee.



When we were finished, we took the doughnuts across the street to a small homeless camp and left them as a gift. I went home feeling pretty happy, and kind of glad the vegan doughnuts didn't show up. With all those in front of me, there's no telling how many I might have eaten...

V for Vegan, for Voodoo, for Victory, and of course for peace-out with your doughnuts, man.