Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Portland Fashion Week, Vegan Style

I just found out I've been welcomed into the Portland Fashion Week "family" of bloggers, to report back on the food and drinks that will be available at the 4 day event, from a vegan perspective. I'm so excited I can hardly stand to be around myself! How did this happen? I think it's a pretty weird story, so I'll tell it. This is how my life works.

I had just spent the morning pouring over the Portland Fashion Week website, wondering when tickets would be available, wondering if I was missing a link because it said September first, and it was September first, and I couldn't figure out how to buy the darn tickets. I was also trying to decide just what to attend, purely from a thrill seeking fashion admiring perspective. It's expensive to go all 4 days, and of course I want at least some semi-VIP status. Sigh... the older I get, the less the cheap seats thrill me...

I gave up for a while, and moved on to something else, planning to go back later and sort out my ticket dilemma. I was listening to OmHarmonics, through my headphones as recommended, but not exactly meditating, which is what the music is designed for - deep meditation... I was actually cruising Facebook. Yeah. I know... I came across the picture below, which I had seen and ignored the day before. I had thought it was some kind of contest, and the very stylish pumps I own happen to be four floors into the earth, in storage, so they don't get banged up in my miniature closet.

This time, however, maybe because of the brain-altering music that was being piped into my head, I took a closer look, and saw it as an opportunity. I immediately fired off a short email pitch to PFW. I mean, who would be better than me to check out the vegan side of a huge fashion event in Portland? A few minute later I got a phone call, asking if I'd like to do some food blogging for them. I about fell out of my chair. Seriously, it was like magic.

I'm awaiting the details of my assignment, and hoping it includes a press pass and access to all the shows. My Big Idea, aside from covering the food and tasty beverages, which are all Portland-centric, and at least some of them plant-based, is to dig deeper into the fashion and the designers' visions of sustainable fashion. I figure there must be at least a few who are specifically, intentionally animal-friendly, as well as eco-friendly. That's the kind of fashion show this is. Hey, it's Portland!

I guess I'll go back to my "meditation" and see what pops up next. Meanwhile, check things out here from October 1-4. I'll be your vegan on the food (and fashion, I hope!) beat. You can also follow me on Facebook, as well as Instagram and Twitter (kimmilespdx). See you at Portland Fashion Week! My biggest question for now... What will I wear???