Monday, October 17, 2011

My Favorite Breakfast - Avocado English Muffin

Recipes don't always have to be recipes, and good, healthy, satisfying food doesn't have to be complicated. Today I'm sharing my favorite breakfast with you, and it's about as easy as it gets. In Rick's family, Avocado Toast is a tradition that goes back to his childhood in southern California, where avocado trees grew in everyone's backyard. There's something so simple and soothing about a friendly piece of whole grain toast, lightly buttered, and layered with sliced avocado and a little salt. Mmmm, you can keep the bacon and eggs. This is heaven to me.

My "upgrade" changes it just a little bit. My experiment with going gluten free is working well, and I've found a few really good options to gluteny breads. One is Food For Life's gluten free english muffins. These are wonderful, and made from brown rice. I like the seedy variety.

Serve them up any way you normally like an English Muffin, or try it my way, by toasting and "buttering" with Earth Balance Buttery Spread, adding a generous layer of sliced avocado, followed by a fat slice of tomato and a sprinkle of sea salt, or even better, gomasio. I eat this almost every morning. In fact, I'm going to go make one now.